Power UpFor the labor-intensive and physically active.
In the morning (and between meals), a smoothie made from real fruits (or vegetables) will not only set the tone for the entire day, but act as a vehicle to stabilize and maintain your energy levels throughout the day!
So we present to you: “The Perfect Smoothie Formula” that you can follow to create nearly endless variations. And the best part is that the uncertainty has been taken out of it for you. You’ll need to experiment with different flavor combinations, of course, but the guesswork about proportions has largely been removed.
The formula specifies general amounts and types of ingredients (like “2 tablespoons binder”) and then right underneath, you are given a menu of several recommended ingredients for each type from which to choose to make your smoothie. So power up, and enjoy!
( makes 2 smoothies )
- 1 soft fruit
- 2 small handfuls frozen or fresh fruit
- 2-4 tablespoons protein powder
- 2 tablespoons binder
- 1.5 tablespoons oil
- 1.5 cups liquid
- 1 tablespoon sweetener (optional, less or more as needed)
- Optional add-ins and other ingredients
- 6 ice cubes (omit if soft fruit is frozen)
Select one ingredient from each type below. Add to blender in the specified proportions above. Blend until smooth.
Recommended Soft Fruits
NOTE: If you have a high-speed blender that can puree, say, a whole apple or carrot without leaving any chunks behind, then the puree of almost any fruit, hard or soft, can act as your soft fruit.
Recommended Protein Powders
- Hemp (can use milled seeds)
- Sprouted brown rice (chalkier than hemp, but packs more protein per dollar)
- Soy (higher-protein, generally cheaper, but will discourage use if you are allergic or intolerant)
- Flaxseed oil
- Hemp oil
- Coconut oil
- Almond, macadamia, or other nut oil
- Maple Syrup (dark amber)
- Agave nectar (high in fructose, so choose this only before workouts)
- Stevia (sugar-free natural sweetener, the amount needed will vary by brand)
Recommended Frozen or Fresh Fruits
- Ground flaxseed
- Almond butter or any nut butter
- Raw almonds (soak for several hours before using)
- Rolled oats, whole or ground
Recommended Liquids (unsweetened)
- Water (my favorite)
- Almond milk or other nut milk
- Hemp milk
- Brewed tea
Optional Add-ins and Other Ingredients
- Carob chips (1-2 tablespoons)
- Ground organic cinnamon (1-2 teaspoons)
- Chia seeds, whole or ground (1-2 tablespoons)
- Ground cayenne pepper (small pinch)
- Sea salt (pinch)
- Lemon or lime juice (1 tablespoon)
Have a Little Fun!
There’s plenty here to get you started. But you certainly don’t have to stay within these guidelines :-)
Ingredients you use from one category often dictate how much you need from another. For example, if you’re using avocado instead of banana as your soft fruit, you’ll need more sweetener than you would with the banana, and you’ll probably want to go light on other fatty ingredients, since avocado provides plenty of good fats.
So be creative, and don’t worry if at first you like more of the sweet ingredients and not so much of the healthier ones. God’s Plan will change your tastes over time and you’ll actually crave the healthy stuff!
IMPORTANT NOTE for Smoothie Times
To encourage proper digestion and assimilation of your smoothie and subsequent meals… Just add it to your schedule 2 to 3 hours after you finish your first meal, and at least 90 minutes before eating your second meal. If you feel you need another one after your second meal, wait at least 3 hours and enjoy!