Unleavened BreadWhat? Where's the rise?
3 cups 100% whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon sea, pink, or kosher salt
1 cup warm water
Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
Select 1 set of optional herbs:
parsley and rosemary
basil and oregano
- Mix flour, salt, and optional herbs together in a bowl.
- Slowly drizzle in the water, stirring as you pour.
- If the dough becomes too sticky, add more flour.
- If the dough becomes too dry, add more water.
- If the dough is rough, drizzle in a few teaspoons of oil until smooth.
- Piece off the dough to roll into balls about the size of a golf ball.
- Set the balls in a bowl and cover with a damp towel for 10 minutes.
- With a rolling pin or your hands, flatten the balls into eighth-inch thick discs.
- Put a teaspoon of olive oil in a pan set to medium-low heat on the stove.
- Give the pan and oil a few minutes to heat up.
- Then gently add one of your dough discs to the pan (it should sizzle).
- Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until slightly browned (in patches).
- After each flatbread is done, set aside in a good place to keep warm.
You may enjoy this on the side of a meal, used for pizza crust or as a wrap to fill with veggies, or cut in triangles for dipping! And you may also try them baked on 400 degrees until a desired chip-like “crunch” is achieved :-)